· As if our hard-working feet don't hurt enough, some of us have to contend with cracked heels. When the sensitive skin on the bottom of the feet and heels becomes too dry, it can split open, leaving painful cracks called fissures on your heels. Those cracks may not only make it painful to walk, but can also lead to serious infections. Cracks in the heels are generally caused by insufficient moisture. These cracks can become sore and may even bleed. Seriously dry feet can occur for a number of reasons, including:
· Cold winter weather
· Dehydration, or not drinking enough water
· Not moisturizing your feet
· Taking very hot baths or showers
· Soaking in a hot bath for too long or too frequently
· Using harsh, drying soaps on your feet
· Scrubbing feet dry
· Having diabetes
· Heel fissures and cracks occur when the skin loses its moisture content and dries out and cracks. When the feet become too dry, heel fissures can develop quite easily. The heel pad wants to expand outward, but the skin is not pliable enough to expand with it, so it cracks. As the skin cracks, it may begin to bleed. These deep heel fissures can allow bacteria and viruses to enter the body, leading to infection and illness.
· Healmate is an Ayurvedic ointment for cracked feet. It is useful in painful cracks and softening of soles of foot . This cream is recommended in cases of cracked heels / soles or rough feet. Wash feet with Luke warm water and dry it then apply the required quantity of Healmate Cream over the affected area twice daily, in the morning after a bath /shower and at bedtime.